Sunday, September 30, 2007

INTO THE WILD


I know I've been remiss in my blogging duties but it was a long and tiring summer and I've just now begun to feel good and have some time to write. I wanted my first post to be positive so I'll start with my review of INTO THE WILD, Sean Penn's adaptation of the Jon Krakauer book that I originally read in 1996. I went in very excited because I loved the book and kind of have a crush on the star, Emile Hirsch. Yes, he's all of 22, but I can't help it, he's adorable and a truly good actor who I've liked in nearly everything I've seen (except THE GIRL NEXT DOOR and ALPHA DOG, neither of which I could actually get through). INTO THE WILD is gorgeous, it's heartbreaking but it's also inspiring. Not in the abandon all your wordly possessions and trek to Alaska way, but in the ultimate realization that enlightenment and happiness mean nothing if you don't have someone to share them with. It made me want to go home and hug my family and tell them exactly how much I love them, just to make sure they know it. Anyway, I highly recommend the film and am pretty confident that it will be nominated for Best Picture and Best Actor at this year's Oscars.

On a funny side note, I met Pauline for brunch before the film at Cafe Colonial, an old haunt in Nolita. As we were waiting for our check I looked outside and saw Sheryl Crow waiting for a table. She had a stroller which I'm assuming held her newly adopted baby, as well as incredibly clear skin and toned arms. Not a huge fan of her music but man, she looks fantastic for her age.

So I've learned some valuable lessons today, chief among them: make everyday count AND do lots of bicep work.

No comments: