Monday, March 31, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I've been such a slacker with my reading over the last year or so but I stepped up my game once we were in Florida and have finished 4 books in a month! Here is the list with my thoughts:

THE ABSTINENCE TEACHER by Tom Perrotta - It was entertaining and very similar in theme to his other books but I didn't love it. I enjoyed it for the first half but then I kind of just wanted it to end already...and then it did, but kind of abruptly. I didn't NOT like it, but I was expecting a little more from him.

THE RIGHT ADDRESS by Carrie Karasyov and Jill Kargman - After I finished THE ABSTINENCE TEACHER I wanted something really light so I headed down to my in-law's condo's library and picked this up. It's about socialites and social climbing in NYC and it caught my eye because I had read a script by the authors years ago. I also knew that they were classmates of Gwyneth Paltrow at Spence and that one of them was the daughter of the owner of Chanel...yes, that Chanel. So I wanted to see if they could write a novel. Answer: not so much. I read it in less than 24 hours and it made Plum Sykes look like a genius. It may have killed a few brain cells but at least it was while I was on vacation.

INTO THIN AIR by Jon Krakauer - It took me forever to read it but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Heartbreaking but also so well written I almost forgot how disturbing the story is. Until the very end when I cried.

THE GLASS CASTLE by Jeannette Wells - I've been reading this in pieces since Christmas and had actually read a good portion of it years ago when it first came out. At first it is amazing and I was really struck by what this poor girl went through, but then it was just a bit relentless and the same abuses were inflicted over and over and it just started to feel ridiculous. And then I got to the last few chapters and it just seems like it couldn't possibly have happened. I haven't heard of any crazy backlash so I assume it really is a true story, and if that's the case then obviously this woman is truly incredible...and not a bad writer.

Now I'm moving on to REVOLUTIONARY ROAD because Eric read it and loved it and it seems like it will be entertaining, albeit possibly depressing. I'll let you know my thoughts when I finish it, hopefully sometime before Rory's next birthday!

No comments: